How do you say for example? Without further ado, here are 13 different ways to say « for example. »
- « For instance … » …
- « To give you an idea … » …
- « As proof … » …
- « Suppose that … » …
- « To illustrate … » …
- « Imagine … » …
- « Pretend that … » …
- « To show you what I mean … »
What is another word for eg?
What is another word for e.g.?
Should you say for example?
There are many situations where the phrase « for example » can be used in writing. It’s a great phrase, but if you need to use it several times in the same document the text can start to sound repetitive.
Is for example formal?
Notice that for example is best when referring to more concrete things, and for instance is better at referring to collections or abstract entities. They are mostly interchangeable, though. In American English, for example is more common and less formal.
What are the 10 examples of synonyms?
Synonym Examples H-M
- happy – content, joyful, mirthful, upbeat.
- hardworking – diligent, determined, industrious, enterprising.
- hate – abhor, loathe, detest, despise.
- honest – honorable, fair, sincere, trustworthy.
- however – nevertheless, nonetheless, yet.
- hypocrisy – duplicity, falseness, deceit.
What is the 10 Example of synonyms?
|Amazing: astounding, surprising, stunning||Fertile, fruitful, abundant, productive|
|Cohesive: united, connected, close-knit||Intelligent: brilliant, clever, smart|
|Cunning: keen, sharp, slick||Kindle: ignite, inflame, burn|
|Destitute: poor, bankrupt, impoverished||Loyal: faithful, ardent, devoted|
What kind of word is for example?
What type of word is for example? As detailed above, ‘for example’ is an adverb. Adverb usage: Many types of cheese exist, for example Gouda and Cheddar.
What does eg mean in a sentence?
e.g. is the abbreviation for the Latin phrase exempli gratia, meaning “for example.” This abbreviation is typically used to introduce one or more examples of something mentioned previously in the sentence and can be used interchangeably with “for example” or “such as.” The use of e.g. implies that there are other …
Is it for example or for example?
For example is very widely used in English. For an example may be technically correct, however it is almost never used in conversation or writing. Sometimes something like ‘An example of this is:’ or ‘An example would be:’ could be used.
When should we use for example?
You use for example to introduce and emphasize something which shows that something is true.
- … …
- Take, for example, the simple sentence: ‘The man climbed up the hill’.
- A few simple precautions can be taken, for example ensuring that desks are the right height.
Is for example informal?
A huge number of words and phrases are used mainly in informal English. For example: dude, freaking, uh-huh, nope (= no), to puke, trashy, grownup, awesome, to chill out, stuff, hard-up, to tick somebody off, to sell like crazy.
How do you use say in a sentence?
Say sentence example
- I like the way you say thank you. …
- I won’t say anything to anyone. …
- It hurts him when you say … …
- And why did you say that? …
- Whatever did I say to make you think that? …
- How can you say that? …
- He had probably been hurting during the ride, but refused to say anything.
What are 5 good synonyms?
- adj.pleasant, fine.
- adj.moral, virtuous.
- adj.competent, skilled.
- adj.useful, adequate.
- adj.reliable; untainted.
- adj.kind, giving.
- adj.authentic, real.
What are the 5 longest words?
10 Longest Words in the English Language
- Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis (45 letters) …
- Floccinaucinihilipilification (29 letters) …
- Antidisestablishmentarianism (28 letters) …
- Thyroparathyroidectomized (25 letters) …
- Dichlorodifluoromethane (23 letters) …
- Incomprehensibilities (21 letters)
What are synonyms give 5 examples?
Examples of Synonyms
- Bad: awful, terrible, horrible.
- Good: fine, excellent, great.
- Hot: burning, fiery, boiling.
- Cold: chilly, freezing, frosty.
- Easy: Simple, effortless, straightforward.
- Hard: difficult, challenging, tough.
- Big: large, huge, giant.
- Small: tiny, little, mini.
What are the 50 examples of synonyms?
50 Examples of Synonyms With Sentences
- Magnify – expand: He magnified their happiness like their pain.
- Baffle – confuse, deceive: The bad news he received consecutively confused him.
- Beautiful – attractive, pretty, lovely, stunning: You are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen in my life.
How do you use for example in a sentence?
You use for example to introduce and emphasize something that shows that something is true. Take, for example, the simple sentence: « The man climbed up the hill. »
What is an example in writing?
An example, of course, is simply a case or instance of something. A specific example is a particular instance. So to give a specific example of technology would be to write about particular people using a particular machine.
What type of word is if?
If is a conjunction.
Is eg a word?
Is EG a scrabble word? … « EG » is not a Scrabble word. It is an abbreviation (e.g. = exempli gratia).
Do you use a comma after EG?
In modern American English, a comma should follow both e.g. and i.e. And because they have both become so commonplace, it is unnecessary to place the abbreviations in italics, even though they are abbreviated Latin phrases.
How do you write ie for example?
The abbreviation “i.e.” should always appear after the first section of the sentence, in the middle, so it is grammatically correct. For example, the sentence, “I.e. he likes super heroes” or the sentence, “He likes super heroes, i.e.” are incorrect.
What are 5 simple sentences?
Examples of simple sentences include the following:
- Joe waited for the train. « Joe » = subject, « waited » = verb.
- The train was late. …
- Mary and Samantha took the bus. …
- I looked for Mary and Samantha at the bus station. …
- Mary and Samantha arrived at the bus station early but waited until noon for the bus.
Do we put comma after for example?
Use either a comma or a semicolon before introductory words such as namely, that is, i.e., e.g., for example, or for instance, when they are followed by a series of items. Also put a comma after the introductory word: (35) You may be required to bring many items, for example, sleeping bags, pans, and warm clothing.
Can I start a paragraph with for example?
There are many different conventions. It’s conceivable that some of them may frown on beginning a paragraph with « for example ». Generally, « for example » is used to illustrate a point that has just been made, and typically you would not wish to separate that point from its illustration with a paragraph break.
Leave a comment