What are some examples of semicolons? Examples of Semicolons: Joan likes eggs; Jennifer does not. The cat slept through the storm; the dog cowered under the bed. Semicolons are also used in a sentence when something stronger than a comma is needed.
Can complex sentences have semicolons?
Some lists already have commas to join dependent clauses or phrases. In this case, a semicolon can be used to separate the elements in a complex sentence.
Should I use a colon or semicolon?
Semicolons should introduce evidence or a reason for the preceding statement; for example, this sentence appropriately uses a semicolon. A colon, on the other hand, should be used for a stronger, more direct relationship. It should provide emphasis, an example, or an explanation.
Where do I use semicolons?
Use a semicolon to join two related independent clauses in place of a comma and a coordinating conjunction (and, but, or, nor, for, so, yet). Make sure when you use the semicolon that the connection between the two independent clauses is clear without the coordinating conjunction.
When should a semicolon be used examples?
When you have a conjunctive adverb linking two independent clauses, you should use a semicolon. Some common conjunctive adverbs include moreover, nevertheless, however, otherwise, therefore, then, finally, likewise, and consequently. I needed to go for a walk and get some fresh air; also, I needed to buy milk.
What are 20 examples of compound sentences?
20 Compound Sentences in English
- I want to lose weight, yet I eat chocolate daily.
- A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on.
- I used to be snow white, but I drifted.
- We went to the mall; however, we only went window-shopping.
- She is famous, yet she is very humble.
What are 5 examples of complex sentences?
Common Complex Sentence Examples
- Because my coffee was too cold, I heated it in the microwave.
- Although he was wealthy, he was still unhappy.
- She returned the computer after she noticed it was damaged.
- Whenever prices goes up, customers buy less products.
What are 5 examples of compound complex sentences?
Compound Complex Sentences Examples
- When I grow up, I want to be a ballerina, and my mom is proud of me.
- I will get to watch television, but first, I have to clean up the dishes after we finish eating.
- We won the game, but my uniform was muddy because it rained the entire time.
How do you not use a semicolon?
Do not use a semicolon when a dependent clause comes before an independent clause. As we have stated above, semicolons can be used to join two complete sentences. Since a dependent clause does not express a complete thought, it is not a complete sentence and cannot be joined to your independent clause by a semicolon.
What is a colon example?
A colon can be used to introduce a list. … For example, “Here’s a list of groceries I need: a loaf of bread, a quart of milk, and a stick of butter.” The words preceding the colon stand as a complete, grammatically correct sentence. The list offers further explanation.
Why use a colon instead of a comma?
Rule: Also use the semicolon when you already have commas within a sentence for smaller separations, and you need the semicolon to show bigger separations. … Rule: A colon is used to introduce a second sentence that clarifies the first sentence.
What are 3 ways to use a semicolon?
3 Ways to Use a Semicolon
- Use a semicolon to connect related independent clauses. An independent clause is a sentence that communicates a complete thought and makes sense on its own. …
- Use a semicolon with a conjunctive adverb or transitional phrase. …
- Use semicolons to separate items in a list.
Can you use a colon and semicolon in the same sentence?
Colons and semicolons can be used in the same sentence, but they are each used for different purposes. … In this example, the colon is used to introduce the cities. Semicolons are used to separate each city and state from the next city and state in the list.
How do you use colons and semicolons?
Colons (:) are used in sentences to show that something is following, like a quotation, example, or list. Semicolons (;) are used to join two independent clauses, or two complete thoughts that could stand alone as complete sentences.
What are the three semicolon rules?
There are three uses of the semicolon.
- Use a semicolon to connect (put together) two related, or similar, sentences. …
- Use a semicolon to join two related, or similar, sentences when using a conjunctive adverb. …
- Use a semicolon to connect items in a list if there are already commas in the sentence.
How do you use a colon and semicolon?
Colons and semicolons are two types of punctuation. Colons (:) are used in sentences to show that something is following, like a quotation, example, or list. Semicolons (;) are used to join two independent clauses, or two complete thoughts that could stand alone as complete sentences.
What are 10 examples of compound sentences using or?
- I like coffee. Mary likes tea. → I like coffee, and Mary likes tea.
- Mary went to work. John went to the party. I went home. → Mary went to work, but John went to the party, and I went home.
- Our car broke down. We came last. → Our car broke down; we came last.
What are 10 examples of compound sentences?
10 Compound Sentences in English
- Our car broke down. …
- They spoke to him in English, but she responded in Spanish.
- She goes to the beach, and she takes her cat.
- Although Michael reads novels, Joly reads comics.
- 5.As Alex was arriving to work, he realized he forgot his lunch.
What are the three types of compound sentences?
A compound sentence is a sentence formed from two or more simple sentences, or independent clauses (IC):
There are three ways of joining independent clauses into a compound sentence:
- with a coordinating conjunction (one of the fanboys);
- with a semicolon; or.
- with a semicolon and a transitional expression.
What are 5 compound sentences?
5 Examples of Compound Sentences
- I want to lose weight, yet I eat chocolate daily.
- Michael did not like to read. She was not very good at it.
- Dr. Mark said I could come to his office on Friday or Saturday of next week.
- My favorite sport is skiing. I am vacationing in Hawaii this winter.
What are 10 examples of compound complex sentences?
10 examples of compound complex sentences
- If the ozone layer collapses, the global community will suffer.
- While I was cooking he was still playing games on the computer.
- Although I miss him so much, I cannot go to him because I do not have money.
What are five compound sentences?
Compound Sentences with Coordinating Conjunctions
She did not cheat on the test, for it was the wrong thing to do. I really need to go to work, but I am too sick to drive. I am counting my calories, yet I really want dessert. He ran out of money, so he had to stop playing poker.
What is the most common usage for a colon?
Common uses of colons
- To announce, introduce, or direct attention to a list, a noun or noun phrase, a quotation, or an example/explanation. …
- To join sentences. …
- To express time, in titles, and as part of other writing conventions. …
- Using a colon between a verb and its object or complement.
What is an example of a colon sentence?
A colon instead of a semicolon may be used between independent clauses when the second sentence explains, illustrates, paraphrases, or expands on the first sentence. Example: He got what he worked for: he really earned that promotion.
What are colon sentences?
Colons are punctuation marks used to signal when what comes next is directly related to the previous sentence. They are used after complete sentences. It is especially important to remember that a colon is not used after a sentence fragment.