Where is a simple sentence? [M] [T] She asked him if he knew where I lived. [M] [T] She told him where to put the suitcase. [M] [T] This is the house where she used to live.
What words are in a simple sentence?
A simple sentence contains only one independent clause. An independent clause is a group of words that has a subject and a verb and can stand alone as a complete thought. These kinds of sentences have only one independent clause, and they don’t contain any subordinate clauses.
What is a example sentence?
What sentence example
- What time is it? 691. 221.
- What is an earthquake? 405. 202.
- What time are we going to leave tomorrow? 359. 167.
- What was that supposed to mean? 217. …
- What could he do about it but lose more sleep? 259. 139.
- What did she eat today? 114. …
- That’s what I say. …
- What in the world is this? 112.
How do you make a sentence?
A sentence is a collection of words that convey sense or meaning, and is formed according to the logic of grammar. The simplest sentence consists only of a noun and a verb. … Write two examples of nouns and verbs, and then combine them to form sentences. Most sentences have a subject noun and an object noun.
What are examples of questions?
Wh Question Examples
- Who are you?
- Who is he?
- Who is she?
- Who do you like?
- Who is your best friend?
- Who is on the phone?
- Who did it?
- Who did you meet?
What is simple sentence structure?
A simple sentence contains a subject and a verb, and it may also have an object and modifiers. However, it contains only one independent clause.
How do you write a sentence for beginners?
Start off Easy: Sentences with Nouns
Here is the first type of easy sentence. Use the verb ‘to be’. If you have one object, use ‘a’ or ‘an’ before the object. If you have more than one object, don’t use ‘a’ or ‘an’.
What is English sentence?
A sentence is the basic unit of language which expresses a complete thought. It does this by following the grammatical basic rules of syntax. For example: »Ali is walking ». A complete sentence has at least a subject and a main verb to state (declare) a complete thought.
What are three sentences?
Three essential types of sentence are declarative sentences (which are statements), interrogative sentences (which are questions), and imperative sentences (which are orders).
What are 5 examples of compound sentences?
5 Examples of Compound Sentences
- I want to lose weight, yet I eat chocolate daily.
- Michael did not like to read. She was not very good at it.
- Dr. Mark said I could come to his office on Friday or Saturday of next week.
- My favorite sport is skiing. I am vacationing in Hawaii this winter.
What are 5 examples of simple sentences?
Examples of simple sentences include the following:
- Joe waited for the train. « Joe » = subject, « waited » = verb.
- The train was late. …
- Mary and Samantha took the bus. …
- I looked for Mary and Samantha at the bus station. …
- Mary and Samantha arrived at the bus station early but waited until noon for the bus.
What are the 7 types of sentences?
The other way is based on a sentence’s structure (simple, compound, complex, and compound-complex).
- Statements/Declarative Sentences. These are the most common type of sentence. …
- Questions/Interrogative Sentences. …
- Exclamations/Exclamatory Sentences. …
- Commands/Imperative Sentences.
What words can you use to start a paragraph?
Linking words and phrases weave sentences together to create a cohesive paragraph.
|First, firstly, second, third, thirdly||next, last finally|
|in addition, moreover||furthermore|
|also||In conclusion, to summarise|
|The first…||The/a second|
What are the 7 question words?
There are seven question words in English: who, what, where, when, why, which, and how. Question words are a basic part of English and important to know. Plus (also), it is easy to see what a question word is because it is always at the beginning of a sentence.
What are the 7 WH words?
Wh-questions begin with what, when, where, who, whom, which, whose, why and how. We use them to ask for information.
What are the 5 WH questions?
What are the 5 Ws?
- Who is it about?
- What happened?
- When did it take place?
- Where did it take place?
- Why did it happen?
What are 4 types of sentence?
There are four types of sentences: simple, compound, complex, and compound-complex. Each sentence is defined by the use of independent and dependent clauses, conjunctions, and subordinators. Simple sentences: A simple sentence is an independent clause with no conjunction or dependent clause.
What are 10 examples of compound sentences?
10 Compound Sentences in English
- Our car broke down. …
- They spoke to him in English, but she responded in Spanish.
- She goes to the beach, and she takes her cat.
- Although Michael reads novels, Joly reads comics.
- 5.As Alex was arriving to work, he realized he forgot his lunch.
What makes a good sentence?
A complete sentence requires a subject and a verb and expresses a complete thought—also known as an independent clause. … For example: “Parents worry about their children.” This sentence is complete, and conveys a clear idea. A good sentence conjures a particular mood.
How do you make a sentence?
[M] [T] I don’t care what she eats. [M] [T] I don’t know what you mean. [M] [T] She didn’t know what to do. [M] [T] Tom has no idea what to do.
Is called in a sentence?
(1) « Please wait for a minute, « she called down. (2) Firefighters were called to a house in Chaucer Avenue. (3) He is called Mitch, because his name is Mitchell. (4) The teacher called the boy to the front.
How can I speak sentence in English?
English Sentence Starters for Everyday Speaking
- I gotta… Use phrase this for obligation or necessity.
- I’d rather (not)… Use this phrase to express your preferences.
- I’ll help you… …
- Let me… / Can I…? / Do you mind if I…? …
- You could / You should… …
- Please don’t… …
- Let’s not… …
- Why don’t we…? / Why not…?
What is the main sentence?
The two most basic parts of a sentence are the subject and predicate. The subject of a sentence is the person, place, or thing that is performing the action of the sentence. … The simple subject usually contains a noun or pronoun and can include modifying words, phrases, or clauses.
What are the 2 types of sentences?
A simple sentence is the most effective way to deliver one main point.
- COMPOUND SENTENCES contain two or more independent clauses. …
- COMPLEX SENTENCES have one independent clause and one or more dependent clauses. …
- COMPOUND-COMPLEX sentences have two independent clauses and one or more dependent clauses.
Leave a comment